Our Lenten journey begins this week on Ash Wednesday. During Lent and especially during Holy Week, Christians have made pilgrimage to Jerusalem one of our spiritual disciplines. When traveling to Israel became less possible because of cost and distance, pilgrimage became more of a spiritual act and less a physical act.
This year I am challenging you to make the pilgrimage physical again. At Elizabethtown Presbyterian Church, we are committing to journey the 6,150 miles from Elizabethtown, NC to Jerusalem, Israel in our walking, running, swimming, cycling, etc. People will track and send their miles to our church office, we will post those miles online and on our banners in the sanctuary and in our fellowship building. Together we will make our journey to Jerusalem!
I challenge you:
- How many miles is it from your community to Jerusalem?
- Invite others to make the journey with you.
- And pray together along the way.
- Warning: the journey will be painful; there will be suffering; we will witness betrayal, denial, and death. And yet, resurrection awaits us!
- See you in Jerusalem at the empty tomb on Easter morning!